About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at www.covanta.com/Our-Facilities. For career opportunities, visit www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Turbine Specialist / Machinery engineer working under direction of the Director of Maintenance Technical Services, will have the responsibility of providing technical guidance and field assistance to all facilities having to do with TG major and minor overhauls, unscheduled repairs and TG performance optimization.
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES BY PERCENT:
- Provide guidance and technical recommendation for the proper planning and detail preparation of TG major and minor outage events. (30%)
- Provide field support to facility management for outage oversight and technical decision making. (50%)
- Provide technical guidance and advise facility management for unscheduled TG repairs and issues. (10%
- Assist in TG performance testing and optimization. (5%)
- Maintain clear and regular communication with facility personnel. (5%)
- Thorough understanding of steam turbine, gearbox reducer and generator maintenance and overhaul activities. .
- Good understanding of steam turbine – generator surveillance and protection logic, and controls.
- Safe working skills.
- Report writing.
- Motivated, self-starter.
- Customer focused.
- Good communication skills
- Turbine Specialist can be located anywhere within the North East.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- Formal technical training like GE field engineer school or comparable.
- Training in turbine control systems and experience in troubleshooting control related issues.
- Thorough understanding of mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical systems.
- Training/Experience in Root Cause Failure analysis and methods used to determine component failure mechanisms.
- Knowledge of steam plant operations and steam condition controls.
- High proficiency in MS Office, especially with Excel (spreadsheets, modeling, and pivot tables), Outlook, and Access.
- Ability to communicate effectively and easily with management/ employees at different levels of the organization in office or remotely
- Minimum of 10- 15 years of relevant experience in Steam Turbine – Generator major overhaul, shop repair methodology, field supervision of millwrights and machinists.
Operating facility environment with OSHA required PPE, safety training for areas of steam turbine – generator operation as well as control cabinet rooms, electrical distribution rooms, areas consistent with the distribution and protection/ controls of high voltage electricity.
- Job requires physical demands consistent with work in industrial environment.
- Majority of work will be accomplished by traveling to facilities to accomplish assigned tasks and supporting scheduled overhauls and unscheduled TG downtime/ problems.
· Technical Service maintains and requires a positive and customer based focus to support facilities.
· 50 - 60% Travel and facility based work/ support
(Internal Tracking Code: *LI-COV)