About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at www.covanta.com/Our-Facilities. For career opportunities, visit www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are looking for high potential, career growth oriented tax professional for this high visibility role. Reporting to the VP of Tax, a member of the finance leadership team, you will partner with a number of executives within and outside of the finance team. If you are looking for an opportunity to broaden your experience and work on a variety of tax issues with a consultative approach, check out the details below and apply asap!
- Advice on all mergers, acquisitions and other transactions for the Company, including supervise, review, or perform research, analysis and implementation of potential tax planning opportunities to minimize direct and indirect taxes. Deliverables include memos/opinions and presentation materials
- Analyze and advise on international tax matters related to commercial, planning and development efforts
- Work with the corporate development team on various transactions and proposals
- Analyze transactions to assess the most tax efficient means of achieving target structures, as well as identifying any potential tax planning opportunities., prepare/review memos, presentation materials, or formal written advice
- Identify transfer pricing issues/opportunities and work to adhere to global policies and ensure compliance with applicable transfer pricing regulations
- Ensure complete communication of restructuring and planning projects to other groups within the tax department to enable accurate and timely reporting in U.S. GAAP financial statements, Statutory Financials and tax returns
- Spot issues that may have an indirect tax implication and obtain advice to minimize indirect taxes
- Handle legal matters for assigned business clients or the tax department and can resolve difficult problems using sound legal judgment
- Analyze legal issues, drafts and executes legal documents, and negotiates matters.
- Build client relations with diplomacy and by providing insightful, timely, and pragmatic counsel
- Conduct legal research and gathers matter-related information from various sources. Incorporates developed business knowledge when analyzing issues and applying legal expertise
- Work with and/or guide outside counsel, as appropriate, on various matters
- Serve as reviewer and mentor for several junior tax staff
- 10+ years of experience, financial products and corporate tax planning at a law firm, Big Four accounting firm or large company
- J.D. required, LLM preferred, CPA preferred
- Ability to foster a collaborative team environment, including providing guidance and support to tax groups
- Must possess efficiency, honesty/integrity, organizational and planning skill
- Strong work ethic, listening skills, openness to criticism and ideas
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills are essential
- Driven to work in a fast-paced environment and be able to prioritize/handle multiple tasks
- Proficient in the use of MS Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint
(Internal Code: *LI-COV)