Solar Array Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOLAR ARRAY ENGINEER
- Design, analyze, prototype, and release flight hardware for satellite solar array photovoltaic assemblies
- Perform due diligence on designs including hand calculations, FEA, and FMEA
- Conduct mechanical, optical, electrical, and thermal testing on photovoltaic assembly constituent materials
- Participate in design trades considering mechanical, optical, electrical, thermal, and cost performance
- Develop customized tooling necessary to support prototyping and testing of proposed designs
- Collaborate with manufacturing and system engineers to ensure acceptable product integration
- Document ongoing development efforts and participate in design reviews
- BS in engineering or science.
- 3+ years of work experience.
- 3+ years of experience in CAD, FEA and GD&T
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years in mechanical design including CAD, FEA, and GD&T
- Familiarity with high volume manufacturing
- Familiarity with terrestrial solar arrays
- Familiarity with spacecraft solar arrays and the space environment
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.