About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at https://www.covanta.com/Our-Facilities. For career opportunities, visit https://www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Procurement Manager - Capital Projects
It is not often that a role comes along that provides you the opportunity to play a pivotal role in Procurement transformation with a leading firm in its industry. Covanta is a world leader in sustainable waste-to-energy solutions poised for global expansion (read our story at www.covanta.com)
Covanta is seeking a versatile, self-motivated Strategic Sourcing professional with a solid track record of leading full life-cycle procurement responsibilities for major capital refurbishment, expansion and greenfield construction projects in the waste-to-energy, electric utility, process or related industries. You will globally source engineered equipment and systems such as steam boilers, steam turbine generators, overhead cranes, air pollution control systems, pumps, valves, heat exchangers, demineralizer systems, material handling equipment, transformers, switchgear, substations, and a full range of associated electrical, instrumentation and controls equipment for small capital projects all the way to major capital projects valued up to $400 million. Experience with preparing service and construction contracts and engaging with architect/engineers, general contractors, and EPC firms is essential.
Now to the specifics of the role:
Reporting to the VP of Strategic Sourcing, the Procurement Manager – Capital Projects will have a varying range of responsibilities depending on the size of the projects assigned. Over 43 operating facilities in the USA, Canada, Ireland and soon UK, plus new domestic and international project development opportunities present a fast paced multi-tasking environment. Your role will span strategic, tactical, and transactional supply management activities. Smaller projects may simply require procurement of equipment and services whereas larger projects may involve interfacing with architect/engineers, contractors, and EPC firms to develop and execute a project from kickoff through startup. You will also be called upon to contribute to the broader supply management agenda leading process improvement and best practice conceptualization and deployment - demonstrating the right values and behaviors with high emotional intelligence in working with a large and disbursed stakeholder base – often on critical schedule projects. You will interface with project “owners” across the company to budget, plan, prioritize and execute the work from a strategic sourcing perspective. You will be based at Covanta’s Morristown, NJ corporate center.
Sound interesting? Read on.
Specific Areas of Responsibilities:
What you will do:
- Take an active leadership role in delivering procurement’s contribution to engineering and construction of new plants, and capital projects at existing facilities; communicate delivery of plans to leaders at all levels of the Company. Interface with project managers, project engineers, lead discipline engineers and assigned project services personnel.
- Maintain an Acceptable Suppliers List (ASL). Work with Engineering to assess and qualify new global sources of supply on a technical and commercial basis.
- Develop and maintain project procurement and expediting reports to include Issue For Bid (IFB) technical specifications, RFPs, bid receipts, coordination of bid evaluations and approvals, preparation and issuance of purchase orders/contracts, monitor progress of meeting PO document and delivery milestones. Interface with field for review of Material Receiving Reports (MRR), resolve Overage, Shortage, and Damage (OSD) plus invoice processing issues, handle back charge administration and purchase order/contract close out.
- Support the Global Sourcing Initiative (GSI) to achieve a step change in demand placed with “low-cost country sources” / high value regions of the world (mainly Asia in the near term).
- Effectively manage supplier relationships to optimize service, quality, and cost.
- Drive robust P2P processes using continuous improvement (CI) methodologies and technology to improve information flow and velocity
- Utilize and oversee the eRFx / reverse auction processes as a tool for maximizing commodity, parts and services savings
- Track and manage procurement KPIs that progress the function to achieve “world class” excellence
- Drive process improvement initiatives - instituting best practices guided by an effective change management process (MoC) that delivers benchmark return on investment (ROI).
- Ensure savings initiatives spanning cost reduction, cost avoidance, revenue enhancement, rebates, working capital, etc. are accurately documented, reviewed, reported and transferred to the appropriate budgets
Critical Skills and Abilities:
• Self-directed, action-oriented, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards.
• Dynamic leader with a record of achieving results individually and through others.
• Strong negotiation skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus.
• Highly developed intellectual capacity, strategy skills and sales ability.
• Ability to work cross functionally with peers and other business leaders.
• Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, and build consensus.
• Organized, team player who is an effective influencer.
• Demonstrated ability to lead change in the face of adversity; to challenge the status quo constructively.
• Articulate, superb communicator, verbal and written.
• Global procurement experience highly desired.
• Proficiency in using PeopleSoft ERP (or SAP) and Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio).
• Solid understanding of Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) modeling, contracts, and change management.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance or Engineering coupled with supply chain experience is preferred. CPSM is advantageous. MBA is desirable
10+ years of progressive capital project procurement and/or construction contracts experience
The following functional competency levels are required for this position:
Competency Level Definitions: 1 = Awareness; 2 = Basic Application; 3 = Skillful Application; 4 = Mastery; 5 = Expert
Project Management Skills
Coaching & Influencing
Procurement category strategy development & application
Supplier performance management
Supply chain risk management