About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at www.covanta.com/Our-Facilities. For career opportunities, visit www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Global Category Manager – Contractor Services will lead the strategic procurement activities related to all disciplines within the scope of Contractor Services such as welding, scaffolding, boiler makers, engineering services, mechanical services, turbine generator services, electrical services, bag house services, refractory services, valve services, among others required in support of Energy-from-Waste and Biomass facilities.
This Strategic Sourcing leadership role contributes to Covanta’s success by effectively developing and leading services sourcing strategies. Manages suppliers and leverages internal networks including outage optimization to deliver best in class performance for this spend category. Consistently delivers measurable results to achieve a competitive advantage to bottom-line and top-line company growth and in support of Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) and corporate social responsibility. Collaborates effectively internally and with suppliers. Develops effective multi-year strategies with an effective understanding of market dynamics and internal demand. Responsible for the end-to-end cycle of category strategy, sourcing contracting, P2P, Supplier Management and Supplier Quality Management including the development of Supplier Scorecards and KPIs. Leads highly complex cross-functional sourcing teams. Manages a spend category(s) representing $70M to $100M in spend. Mentors other procurement professionals interfacing closely with facility buyers and Regional Strategic Sourcing Managers.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Bring thought leadership, set the direction, and ensure delivery performance within the Contractor Services Category (aligned with business priorities)
- Effectively develop and lead sourcing strategies for Contractor Services and its subcategories to include, but not limited to, what is listed above. Effectively manage suppliers and internal networks to deliver best in class performance.
- Deliver procurement’s contribution to Outage Optimization (plant maintenance & turnarounds), engineering and construction of new plants, and capital projects at existing facilities
- Contribute to sourcing efforts in other product categories as necessary.
- Effectively and concurrently manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Consistently deliver upon measurable and strategic goals to enable a competitive advantage to bottom-line and top-line company growth, and corporate social responsibility leadership
- Develop competitive bid processes including RFI’s, RFP’s, and RFQ’s for assigned commodities
- Develop multi - year negotiation strategies. Manage and track planned and achieved savings initiatives assuring that savings are transferred to annual operating plan budgets
- Lead cross-functional sourcing teams within a centralized buying structure with decentralized execution.
- Develop category metrics to measure success including material savings and supplier performance measurements inclusive of supplier scorecards
- Utilize professional sourcing tools, including Reverse Auction software, to achieve desired savings. Perform all functions incorporating a total cost of acquisition methodology that factors pricing, service and quality performance into all decision making
- Employ strong knowledge of key industry players, competitors, and market dynamics. Evaluate supplier capability through intense interviewing, third party feedback and through financial analysis.
- Develop effective business and professional relationships with strategic suppliers and industry players
- Professionally manage and measure suppliers for continuous performance improvement
- Solve problems and make tactical and strategic decisions for all assigned responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to lead change in the face of adversity; to challenge the status quo constructively
- Articulate, superb communicator, verbal and written
- Member of Covanta’s category management leadership team
- Interacts with regional personnel to include procurement managers, facility management and subject matter experts from the Waste Solutions organization
- Interfaces with senior leadership to provide strategy, regulatory and compliance updates.
- Work closely with internal customers and other interested parties to deliver results that are in the best interest of individual facilities and the Corporation. Close collaboration with outage optimization is required to ensure optimal services costs while maintaining quality in services provided
- Interacts with suppliers, third-party payment processors, and service providers
Measures of Performance
- Overall improvements in total cost of ownership related to Contractor Services. Year over year cost reduction and process improvements based on measurable KPIs
- Ability to lead using demonstrated and proven experience and the application of best practice procurement skills
- Demostrate behaviors aligned with company values and the expectations of a professional organization
| || || || |
• Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Purchasing experience in Contractor Services highly desired.
• Experience: 7 years overall business experience within a supply chain function
• High-level negotiation skills and experience negotiating high profile contracts. Strong contract knowledge of applicable terms and conditions
• Excellent written & verbal communication – including effective presentation skills using PowerPoint
• Ability to work effectively in a professional environment under conditions of ambiguity
• Strong analytical background including experience with tools such as Excel & Access
• Ability & experience interfacing within all levels of an organization
• Ability to articulate a clear vision and convey a sense of urgency
• Ability & willingness to work in a matrix organization with direct & indirect reporting relationships
Competency Level Definitions: 1 = Awareness; 2 = Basic Application; 3 = Skillful Application; 4 = Mastery; 5 = Expert
Project Management Skills
| || |
Category strategy development & application
Negotiating and influencing
Contract execution and management