Controls Engineer (Experienced)
Sandia National Laboratories
- Mechanical Engineering - Applied Mechanics
- IT & Engineering
Job ID: 655931
Company: Sandia National Laboratories
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Job Title:Controls Engineer (Experienced)
We are seeking a Test Operations Engineer
The successful candidate will work in the role of Lead Controls Engineer as a part of a team in a dynamic environment conducting innovative research at the National Solar Thermal Test Facility (NSTTF). The Lead Controls Engineer will be responsible for design and upkeep of systems including motorized dual axis heliostats, solar attenuators, molten salt storage and pumping systems, solar simulators, data acquisition sub-systems, and others systems. The NSTTF heliostat field, consisting of 218 heliostats, is a unique, world class system used for specialized testing. The NSTTF systems require in-depth knowledge of both hardware and software used to precisely and safely control movement or other critical parameters. Expertise in data collection from a variety of sources (e.g. temperatures, solar readings, flow, pressure, weather data, etc.) is also required. The majority of the control/data systems at the NSTTF are heavily based on National Instruments LabVIEW technology. Currently we are upgrading all of the NSTTF?s control systems and the successful candidate will continue to lead the effort to completion and implement good software practices throughout the site.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
? LabVIEW programming for all of the controls and data acquisition (DAQ) systems at the NSTTF. Other tasks involve the design, development, test, fielding, troubleshooting, repairs and maintenance of hardware, software and systems required to control, collect data and monitor solar research systems.
? Implementation and championing of software quality and documentation standards for all projects on systems on site. Jira is being used to track progress, issues, and all relevant project action items.
Secondary Responsibilities Include:
? Test planning and test execution as required
? Training of operators in the use of NSTTF control and DAQ systems
- BS in related computer software or engineering field.
- Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
- Three years ?hands-on? experience in using National Instruments hardware and software (LabVIEW) to meet motorized control systems and data monitoring requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot systems down to the component level and repair control and DAQ systems.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills, including teamwork.
- Demonstrated flexibility, agility, and leadership in problem solving in the laboratory and field work.
- Demonstrated ability to lead software projects with an effective software engineering process.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Energy security clearance.
- MS in related computer software or engineering field.
- Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)
- Experience in fields related to concentrating solar power (e.g., optics, pointing and tracking of mechanical mounts, high temperature thermal detection and measurement techniques).
- An established professional network of contacts and customers, especially as related to National Instruments products and other control system vendors.
- Experience with LabVIEW imaging analysis software and tools.
Sandia National Laboratories is a world leader in the development of renewable energy systems. Our Concentrated Solar Technologies Department located in Albuquerque, New Mexico, develops Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) systems in partnership with DOE, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), and industry to facilitate the successful development and market deployment of utility scale solar electric and sustainable solar fuels.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation?s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
+ Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
+ Extraordinary co-workers
+ Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
+ Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
+ Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
_World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers._ Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Quality Control Engineer Jobs
- View more Mechanical Engineering - Applied Mechanics Jobs
- View more Sandia National Laboratories Jobs