ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR - MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Western Illinois University School of Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering - Applied Mechanics
- Mechanical Engineering - Design
- Mechanical Engineering - Manufacturing
- Mechanical Engineering - University, Academic and Education
APPOINTMENT: The position of Assistant/Associate Professor of Engineering at the WIU Quad Cities campus will begin on August 17, 2017; or a mutually agreeable date to be negotiated.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Teach engineering courses, organize and conduct laboratories at both the undergraduate and graduate level; mentor student design teams; assist in maintaining ABET accreditation; serve on school, college and university committees; maintain office hours in accordance with the negotiated contract; foster corporate alliances; assist in recruiting and retaining students; work with the Quad City Manufacturing Lab and other Quad Cities area economic development efforts. For a listing of the current curriculum see: http://www.wiu.edu/qc/Engineering/Curriculum.php.
RANK & SALARY: Assistant Professor, tenure track. Competitive salary. Western Illinois University offers a very competitive benefits package including retirement, health, vision, dental and domestic partner benefits. Where appropriate, the university also offers access to Dual Career and Retention program in support of the institution's goal of attracting and recruiting an excellent faculty representative of a diverse and global society. For full benefit information visit: http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/human_resources/benefits/.
- A Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from a university that has an ABET-EAC accredited program in Mechanical Engineering. Unofficial transcripts from all institutions of higher learning where an engineering degree was awarded must be submitted with application.
- Must have a minimum of three years of recent classroom experience in teaching undergraduate and/or graduate courses in mechanical engineering as the instructor of record in an ABET-EAC accredited program; documented evidence of teaching excellence; summary of teaching evaluations for the last three years taught must be submitted with the application.
- Must be able to teach relevant engineering courses that will support WIU's engineering program.
- Must have a minimum of two years of industry experience or applied research experience related to mechanical engineering.
- In addition to a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering as stated in Required Qualifications above, it is desired that applicants have earned a Bachelor of Science degree from an ABET-EAC accredited program in Mechanical Engineering in their past studies.
- Be eligible to obtain a US security clearance and work on the US Army Rock Island Arsenal.
- Theoretical and practical experience in machine and mechanical design, computational methods, robotics & automation, statics, dynamics, strength of materials, and in general any course typically found in a mechanical engineering program. We are looking for a well-rounded individual with versatile teaching skills who is able to teach courses, organize, and conduct laboratories at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Practical and/or entrepreneurial experience in engineering that will support the development of technology in the region, in support of the mission of the School of Engineering. WIU's School of Engineering and our Quad City Manufacturing Lab are members of the Digital Manufacturing Design Innovation Institute (DMDII) located in Chicago, Illinois, and works closely with the Quad Cities Advanced Manufacturing Innovation Hub. We are especially looking for someone with skills to complement our capabilities and help companies transform and take advantage of the digitalization of the manufacturing enterprise.
- Be able to work harmoniously with diverse groups of people across a wide spectrum of disciplines to solve problems in support of the school's mission.
- Be able to inspire, direct, teach, mentor, recruit, and retain students. Must enjoy working with students.
- Experience with assessment of ABET-EAC accredited programs.
For a degree to be considered, it must be conferred from a regionally accredited degree-granting institution of higher education (or equivalent from an international accrediting body).
THE DEPARTMENT: Western Illinois University is a teaching university. The primary mission of the School of Engineering is to turn ordinary students into extraordinary engineers. Our equally important secondary mission is to assist companies, inventors, entrepreneurs, and individuals in the development of technological skills, concepts, ideas, and inventions, in support of the economic development of the region. In short, we are looking for dynamic individuals who enjoy teaching with a mix of theoretical and practical, like to get out of their offices and comfort zones, to help others learn and like get their hands dirty. Our website can be found at http://www.wiu.edu/cbt/qc/engineering.
Regional businesses: The WIU-QC School of Engineering is uniquely positioned by virtue of being the only public University in the Quad Cities with an engineering program. The region is heavily oriented towards engineering and manufacturing with over 10,000 engineers within a 50 mile radius. Industries include agricultural equipment, robotics, automation, materials, sensors, renewable energy, civil, power, general manufacturing, and defense. Students typically obtain paid year round internships starting as early as their sophomore year, work with companies during their senior design projects, and graduate with multiple employment offers. Faculty are expected to participate in the mentoring of students and in providing advice for student-industrial teams.
Please upload the requested documents by clicking APPLY NOW or by navigating to the WIU Employment page at the following URL http://www.wiu.edu/employment/
**Note** In order to upload Individual documents must be under 2 MB in size.
Screening will begin on or about November 3, 2016 and continue until the position is filled.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Associate Professor Jobs
- View more Mechanical Engineering - Applied Mechanics Jobs
- View more Mechanical Engineering - Design Jobs
- View more Mechanical Engineering - Manufacturing Jobs
- View more Mechanical Engineering - University, Academic and Education Jobs
- View more Western Illinois University School of Engineering Jobs
View More Jobs in Moline, IL:
- View more jobs in Moline, Illinois
- Associate Professor jobs in Moline, Illinois
- Mechanical Engineering - Applied Mechanics jobs in Moline, Illinois
- Mechanical Engineering - Design jobs in Moline, Illinois
- Mechanical Engineering - Manufacturing jobs in Moline, Illinois
- Mechanical Engineering - University, Academic and Education jobs in Moline, Illinois
- Western Illinois University School of Engineering jobs in Moline, Illinois
View More Jobs in IL:
- View more jobs in Illinois
- Associate Professor jobs in Illinois
- Mechanical Engineering - Applied Mechanics jobs in Illinois
- Mechanical Engineering - Design jobs in Illinois
- Mechanical Engineering - Manufacturing jobs in Illinois
- Mechanical Engineering - University, Academic and Education jobs in Illinois
- Western Illinois University School of Engineering jobs in Illinois